Currently there are all prerequisites for development of digitization of Lithuanian cultural heritage as well as long-term storage and spread of its digitized content in Lithuania, whereas, the fruits of implementation of the project “Creating an Integral Virtual Library Information System” were the electronic heritage system based on a uniform approach to objects of cultural heritage, a uniform database and a general portal www.epaveldas.lt.
The “Lithuanian Cultural Heritage Digitalization and Digitized Content Storage and Access Strategy”, resource of the Action Plan of which had been meant for implementation of projects aimed at development of digitized content of Lithuanian cultural heritage, played the most important role in concentrating effort of archives, libraries and museums for digitizing cultural heritage of the state and supplying it to the general portal www.epaveldas.lt together.
One of the above projects is “Development of Virtual Electronic Heritage System”.
The project is implemented by Martynas Mažvydas National Library of Lithuania and its partners below:
- Kaunas County Public Library;
- Klaipėda County Ieva Simonaitytė Public Library;
- Gabrielė Petkevičaitė-Bitė Panevėžys County Public Library;
- Povilas Višinskis Šiauliai County Public Library;
- The Wroblewski Library of the Lithuanian Academy of Sience;
- Vilnius University Library;
- Lithuanian Art Museum;
- Lithuanian Theatre, Music and Cinema Museum;
- Office of the Chief Archivist of Lithuania.
Aim of the project:
- To ensure continuity of creating and spread of digital content of Lithuanian cultural heritage through development of the Virtual Electronic Heritage System (hereinafter – VEPS)
Tasks of the project:
- To develop network of creating digital content by creating new digitization centres and subdivisions;
- To develop and improve the virtual digitized cultural heritage system;
- To ensure digitization and spread of objects of cultural heritage;
As soon as the project is implemented the following issues will be resolved:
- Valuables of cultural heritage currently kept by storage institutions will be moved to electronic space thus preserving them from decay of content;
- Preservation and better accessibility of information will be ensured;
- Relevance and visibility of valuables of cultural heritage will be increased;
- More convenient access to digitized cultural heritage objects stored in database of the VEPS will be realized.
Over 2 500 000 pages of top-valued old books, newspapers, pieces of art, manuscripts and Church Metrics have been digitized, loaded to the database and published in www.epaveldas.lt portal. Implementation of the projects will mean: increased number of project partners, continuing digitization works (over 78 000 of valuables stored in funds of archives, libraries and museums are planned to be digitized, loaded to the database and published; 12 550 of those are valuables stored in Lithuanian Art Museum and 11 000 vinyl audio records stored in Martynas Mažvydas National Library of Lithuania) and development of electronic services.